Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Photos from Rob Gardiner

I was just looking at different types of Black and White photography trying to look for ideas for the Final Project. I came across this blog by Rob Gardiner. It is the link below..
http://www.nyclondon.com/blog/

One of the first things I noticed was his blog about Venice through a Pinhole. These images were well done and I just remembered the trouble I experienced with my pinhole camera. One of the images I loved, and it is above. It is of a long narrow sidestreet, with apartments and buildings on either side. The dark and gray tone of the photo makes the sidestreet look lonely and depressing. It almost seems abandoned since there is no existence of people in the photo. However, the white and black striped Barber poles give some life to the picture. Although they are small it is really the only white white you see, so they stand out. Since they look like Barbor Shop poles to me, it makes me think everyone is in on this gross day and give the image a different feel.

Another photo I loved in his blog was in his Mayfair London album. It is a tophat onto of either a coat or hat hanger. However, the way the hat is perched makes the hat seem like it is on top of the hanger. Therefore, it personifies the hanger as if it is alive with a hat on top of it. This reminded me of the photo I took where I gave one of the pillars at Donahue feet, looking as if it could walk right off. This photo is above as well.

Another photo that struck my attention was of Ironmonger Lane in London. The picture is of a road heading down a alleyway. The picture has the road curve adn within the curve is the most light. I think I love the composition of the picture. The way that the road is a little offcentered but the light is pretty much directly centered is what attracted my eye. I love again how it is of a street in a city, however, no one seems to be there. It makes me wonder where is everyone? This photo is put above as well.

I think I really enjoyed the photos in this blog. He does a great job of using contrast and composition to set his pictures up in different ways. He also uses a camera and a pinhole to get different takes of places. He also takes different perspectives of different events if you continue to look at his Sultan's Elephant pictures as well as his pictures in New York.

No comments: