Sunday, April 27, 2008

Placement

While taking pictures for my final I had to think a lot about placement of people within the photo while trying to capture the emotion or feeling that I wanted. It was hard to put people into position or with other and try to make it look real. It made me think a lot about the pictures of the Civil War by Matthew Brady that Sonia talked about. When you first look at the photos you would think they are candid and are a part of the war in a shot. However, when researching about them you realize he moved people around and set up situations. Although it was probably not much movement in some and more in others, they were still set up to characterize what he was feeling. An example of one of the photos is below. This is what I am hoping to get in my photos. I am placing people and they are not necessarily candid. However, I am trying to portray men and women in different ways. I was to capture there essence in a photo. Therefore, when people look at them I do not want them to look empty or as if they were just placed there for no reason. I want my work to say something.


No comments: